The gift of vision is the ability to receive and communicate a compelling image of a process, outcome, or state of being that God desires for individuals, the church or society.
Moses, Huldah, Isaiah, Jeremiah, Ezekiel, Anna, Jesus, Peter
People with this gift can
- Receive and communicate a clear, realistic image of a future for the church.
- Inspire others to volunteer to work toward the future.
- Connect the future to the immediate past and present, and to Biblical examples.
- May not have the gifts of Leadership or Organization which are needed to realize the vision.
- May lack patience to communicate the vision.
- May not have the courage and/or wisdom to deal with conflict.
- May not be able to distinguish helpful suggestions from obstructing criticism.
- May lack self-awareness and confuse personal projects with God’s purposes.
Tips for nurturing this gift
- Keep up to date on current social trends, developments in science, etc.
- Know your church’s present context in all its aspects.
- Have a thorough knowledge of the Bible, of God’s previous visions for God’s people at different times in history, and of God’s purposes for the Church.
Minister, long-range planning, project initiator, resident visionary for the congregation, …
Not to be confused with the responsibility of all Christians to …
(c) 2004, 2006, 2008 David Ewart, www.davidewart.ca
Permission is granted to photocopy all Spirit Given Gift materials for non-profit use, provided credit is acknowledged.
An easy to print or email Adobe PDF version of this page is available by clicking here.