The gift of teaching is the ability to communicate factual, psychological, moral, or spiritual truths, ideas or theories that enables others to learn and contributes to the spiritual health of individuals and the church.
Moses, Jesus, Paul, Priscilla, Lois and Eunice
People with this gift can
- Use age-appropriate methods and materials.
- Communicate information to inspire greater faith.
- Take time to pray, prepare, study and reflect.
- Test their understandings with elders and leaders.
- See both the forest and the trees, and help others to make similar distinctions and connections.
- Teachers will be judged more strictly than others (James 3:1).
- Should exercise this gift with a high degree of responsibility and thoroughness.
- Must practice what they teach.
Tips for nurturing this gift
- Prepare in advance.
- If you ever stop learning, stop teaching.
- Engage in continuous bible study.
- Stay up to date on teaching skills, techniques, and technologies.
Small group leader, Sunday School, youth group, new member / baptism classes, Bible study leader, …
Not to be confused with the responsibility of all Christians to …
(c) 2004, 2006, 2008 David Ewart, www.davidewart.ca
Permission is granted to photocopy all Spirit Given Gift materials for non-profit use, provided credit is acknowledged.
An easy to print or email Adobe PDF version of this page is available by clicking here.