The gift of multiculturalism is the ability to share one’s faith in a second culture.
Rahab, Ruth, Paul, James
People with this gift can
- Pioneer or establish new ministries or churches.
- Welcome learning from other cultures.
- Enjoy new foods, languages, customs, dress, etc.
- Quickly learn new social customs.
- Respectfully and appropriately translate Christian life and faith into other cultural contexts.
- May be so sensitive to other cultures that the Christian gospel is watered down.
- May be so committed to the Gospel that they fail to see non-Christians as children of God.
- May fail to see the activity of God already in other cultures.
- May confuse one's own cultural assumptions with genuine Gospel values.
- Culturally aware
Tips for nurturing this gift
- Seek opportunities to learn about and experience other cultures where you live: people and events, restaurants, movies, books, etc.
- Seek out people from other cultures in the church to learn from and share with them.
- Learn another language, way of cooking, social customs, etc.
Ministry to international neighbours, overseas ministries, social outreach, youth/seniors ministries, ...
Not to be confused with the responsibility of all Christians to …
(c) 2004, 2006, 2008 David Ewart, www.davidewart.ca
Permission is granted to photocopy all Spirit Given Gift materials for non-profit use, provided credit is acknowledged.
An easy to print or email Adobe PDF version of this page is available by clicking here.