The gift of discernment is the ability to recognize what is genuine from what is pretence; what is of God from what is not of God.
Rahab, Deborah, Samuel, Queen of Sheba, Jesus, Paul, Peter
People with this gift can
- Have a clear sense of right from wrong; truth from error; genuine motives from false ones.
- Perceive deception in others.
- Recognize inconsistencies between words and deeds.
- Sense falseness.
- Know whether a word or action is truly in accordance with God or not.
- May be unloving and harsh when confronting others.
- May remain silent instead of confronting others when needed.
- May become too sure of themselves; lack humility, critical self-assessment,
- May develop a negative "spirit of criticism" that is constantly critical of everything.
Tips for nurturing this gift
- Develop an above average knowledge of the Bible.
- Seek confirmation and evaluation of others.
- Maintain a spirit of openness to new insight; new discoveries.
Supporting new Christians, counselling, screening & discernment committees, …
Not to be confused with the responsibility of all Christians to …
Test for themselves between right and wrong.
(c) 2004, 2006, 2008 David Ewart, www.davidewart.ca
Permission is granted to photocopy all Spirit Given Gift materials for non-profit use, provided credit is acknowledged.
An easy to print or email Adobe PDF version of this page is available by clicking here.